Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Biggest 4 Hours in the Life of a UP Student

type='html'>
So here I was on a Saturday afternoon, looking for a ticket so that I can cover the UAAP Cheerdance Competition and of course support the UP Pep Squad, the reigning champs. Right at the last moment before the showdown started, I got an Upper Box ticket at the school price (PHP 150), but I, together with a new-found friend from Adamson who actually got a Lower Box ticket, was able to sneak to the LB section.
UAAP Cheerdance Competition ticket
Got my ticket for the Big Event!
So the event started. Everyone cheered (or maybe jeered) at Katz Salao, UE's courtside reporter, when she had a slip of the tongue and said UP instead of UE. She's actually from UP, so that's fine with me. Everyone commits mistake even on TV.
I already had this on my mind prior to attending the cheerdance...
If UP wins, I'll do the Aguero
Sorry, Manchester United fans! I'm also a ManU fan.
Here comes the FEU Cheering Squad. With a cheerleading piece inspired by nature, they strutted their way to a near-flawless performance that made me think their time is now. Despite finding the motif weird, I still found their performance wow-worthy. Now here come my homies, the defending champions.
Laban UP
With their stunt that focuses on freedom, the UP Pep Squad again had a super brilliant performance that mesmerized the crowd... Wait! What? One of their member fell down right at their final stunt. Despite getting our cheers, I can't help but get anxious. Oh! Have I already mentioned that the FEU crowd jeered at us?

So here comes the announcement. When Boom Gonzalez announced the winner of the Samsung Stunner, I was glad that it was Nicolette Ambulo of UP (although I wanted the Salinggawi girl to win). Here comes the announcement of the Group Stunts winners. I already expected UP will be at number 1 again. Now, the real reason to keep glued to our seats or on TV...

Second Runners-Up: The NU Pep Squad! Wow! The NU crowd weas enraged! This is the first time NU finished at the Top 3. I'm so happy for them. But here comes the tense moment. I already conceded. "Yeah! That late fall will doom UP for sure." Then the announcement came. I was even more rowdy than these guys at the Moonleaf Cafe in Maginhawa St. after the announcement.
I did not wait for the formal announcement. I did the Aguero goal celebration (despite using only my lanyard to be spun; I was at the Lower Box so I need to be decent, right?). It was like the May 13 Manchester City-Queens Park Barclays Premier League game all over again. Oh! Wait! It more looks like the San Mig Coffee-Talk 'n Text Game 7. Oh! Come on! This one was even more dramatic than both of the aforementioned games because I watched the UAAP Cheerdance Competition live at the MOA Arena unlike the PBA and the BPL games, which I only witnessed on TV or live stream.

I got teary-eyed after the win was made formal. I witnessed UP Pep Squad's 8th UAAP cheerleading championship, their 3rd straight (I also witnessed last year in flesh, but last Saturday was more dramatic because everyone expected the domination last year). It was definitely more dramatic than the other dramatic finishes I've seen this year. It makes me more proud to be a UP student. They made it happen. The 8-3-1 is complete. Now the countdown to 9-4-1 has begun. I hope next year will be more dramatic than this. Congratulations, UP Pep Squad! UP fight!
Ivan Saldajeno
2005-72113
Proud UP Student!

No comments:

Post a Comment