Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Reality: This is the UAAP, Not the Court of Appeals

type='html'>
Karim Abdul's Goaltending Call
While Commissioner Ato Badolato describes goaltending as a
judgment call, leading to the vetoing of UST's protest...
Norman Black
...the Tigers elevated the matter to the UAAP Board because of
the failure to recognize Norman Black's ill-advised entry to the
playing court.
With all due respect to Moira Gallega of PinoyFootball.com, I'm borrowing her idea about the headline of her article about the UFL's AFP teams and use the pattern of it for my latest post. Just like the legion of fans from all the schools, I am upset about the latest developments in the UAAP today. Last week, a controversial layup by RR Garcia at the buzzer to give FEU the win against NU that was counted by the referees was protested by NU. The Bulldogs sent the appeal to Commissioner Ato Badolato. He denied the appeal, but upon elevating the case to the league board, the board overturned the verdict and rescheduled the entire match to September 23. Now, the UST Growling Tigers put their 66-68 loss against Ateneo under protest for two reasons: Karim Abdul's block that was counted as a goaltending infraction and the referees failing to slap a technical foul on Blue Eagles coach Norman Black in the dying moments. Kume Ato denied the appeal because goaltending, classified as a judgment call, is irreversible, but UST elevated the matter to the board because of the matter on Black's technical not called.

Upon posting the news on the Facebook where I'm an admin, aside from the rants that I got because of my corniness (I put in "Good news, Thomasians" in UP-UST Friendship when it's actually a bad news for them, while I put in "Bad news, Ateneans" in Kasali, when it's actually good news for them. Sorry, guys!), some comments that we got put the blame on the spotty officiating, bribery, and even NU for starting the trend. But the rest mean only one message: Let's move on!

I even agree with one comment on UP-STe: "Games should be decided inside the basketball court and not in the board room," or for this article the "court of appeals". Even if there's a solid ground for protesting the game, I will just take the loss and play with all heart in the next game. I actually liked UST Coach Pido Jarencio's statement after the loss: "Pag talo, talo." Of course, his mood changed when Kume used his veto power (he's pushing the technical on Black, while the management added the goaltend). Even former UST coach Aric Del Rosario, now with Perpetual Help in the NCAA, said in his post-game after the Altas lost to Mapua last night, "Ako, ayoko mag-protesta... Ako, kung makapasok, eh di papasok pag ayaw di wag," although he admitted that he did not like the spotty officiating in that game. UPHSD athletic director Moses Lozada put the game under protest due to the said matter.

I respect the teams's right to protest the game if there's something wrong (even if they win that said match), but I don't like the championship to be decided in the "court of appeals". I don't know how the fans will react if UST and NU eventually make the finals, but for me, I'll take it. If it's Cats vs. Dogs in the Last Dance, so be it. What I just want to say is that I hope UST's protest will be the last we will hear this year. I want the championship to be settled on the hardwood and not in front of "knowledgeable" people who will give their "verdict beyond reasonable doubt" and just ignore the rule of the commissioner, who is one of the best coaches in Asia. This is basketball, not an impeachment trial against Ato Badolato. This is a game of athletes, not of law school freshmen. Lastly, this is the UAAP, not the "Court of Appeals"!

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment